If you are here during the beta phase you have been selectively invited to give input to the proposal below for a trans/non-partisan approach to reclaiming America's government for The People - this has not been distributed publicly yet, I am hoping we will work together to keep refining it for the next 3 days.
The Plan is inherently simple and requires only that each of us as voting citizens educate ourselves on the crucial issues that both left, right and center, agree our systemic Financial, Electoral and Political problems can not be fixed by any partisan solutions. We encourage each voter to carefully look at the proposals, note their interlocking necessity for a healthy government that does not take in more than it spends and spreads the burden of taxation fairly, according to the majority of the people, not according to the majority of the 1%.
OCCUPY CONGRESS:The Plan is, by setting forward a simple set of radical trans/non-partisan governmental reforms, via Congress [U.S. and then State] aiming to begin the return of Power to the Working Class [also known as the 99%]
The following popular mandates represent pledges we expect any serious politician to make to effect honest popular change, reflected in the will and the commonly perceived need of the people: They reduce and regulate the power of Trans-National Corporations, Banks and the 2 Party system to corrupt the ‘1 person, 1 vote’ representative democracy envisioned by the Founders of the Country and the Constitution and shared as a common bond of fellow democratically minded citizens.
Below are the Action Points we see are needed to return power to the People and take it from the Banks, Wall St., the corrupt and dysfunctional 2 parties and their deceptive leaders. We invite you to make a stand with us, and let commit to no longer voting for a lesser candidate who will follow the party line when he gets to Washington D.C. but will be willing to stand united with members of any party who have taken the Occupy Congress [or Allied movements] pledge of introducing/co-signing and supporting the following legislation.
***The Specific Congressional Action [Co-Sign Bill/Voting] Points****
1. End the ‘Person-hood’ of Corporations. Set out clear corporate rights and responsibility guidelines.
2. Pass Bill/LawRe-instate Glass-Steagall http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass%E2%80
%93Steagall_Act - via LK
3. Co-Sign/ Pass Bill/Law : Ending the secretive, unconstitutional Federal Reserve [aka The Fed] placing the full membership as temporary regents, conduct a full and transparent audit.
3. Revert to Reagan [50%] or Nixon Era [70%!] tax levels on the most wealthy.......get more data for effect on budget and economy.... http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977623449
comment: : who faovrs the various levels?
*re: Clean Elections
4.Pass Bill/Law: All Federal Elections must be by paper ballot and counted by hand - and subject to a free and fair recall when in doubt of .5% Courts shall not decide elections only permit re-elections when a recount is not possible due to lost or tampered ballots.
5. Pass Bill/Law [and prepare for Constitutional Amendment]: as regards Public Financed Federal Elections.
Comment: Freedom of Speech interpreted as Freedom to Speak in the Election Forum, not Freedom to advertise in Corporate Controlled Media wasting Billions of Dollars each election cycle.
This is perhaps the most essential point- get corporate money, union money, PAC out of elections altogether by having 'public elections' : candidates can of course stump, to exercise their free speech, but the airwaves need not be for sale.
6. Pass bill for a 10 year, Congressional Term Limits - to be immediately shepherded through [occupy your state congress to insure State-Wide Ammending the Constitution In the likely event of a supreme court challenge - an unambiguous Constitutional Amendment will be well underway.
link to tenure corrupts article on the arguments for and against term limits.
7. Amend Congressional Rules to allow any 2 congress-person’s from one party, or any 2 from differing parties to introduce ‘Emergency Legislation’ once every 2 years that MUST be voted on by the full congress, bypassing all committees and can not be sidetracked or hijacked by committees.
Comment: This will allow every American to see exactly how their congressperson voted on crucial issues, there is no hiding behind party manipulations, that keep the more embarrassing votes from coming to light
*Re: American Sovereignty over Corporate Sovreignty
WSJ article from 11.9.11
9. Vote to Restore American Sovereignty by Repealing/Ending American participation in NAFTA and WTO.
Congressional Fair Trade voting record: Bi-partisan assessment - http://www.americanjobsalliance.com/heroes-and-villains -
Comment:America prospered when we taxed countries that did not have our standards - so as to keep company profit/worker/wage equity.
10. Pass/Bill/Law Corporate Executives Salary Cap: no person in a Corporation’s/Businesses may make more than 25% (?) of lowest paid employees. http://www.businessweek.com/managing/content/sep2008/ca20080912_186533.htm
comment : % will probably need to start higher - article makes good case for low number though.
http://www.lincoln.edu/criminaljustice/hr/Assembly.htm rather awful font/layout - but a good overview article.
The peoples right to modest and humble shelter while petitioning their grievances shall not be sacrificed on the altar of police, security or political expediency. Simple temporary sanitation can be installed by and for the people at a variety of levels, from the People acting independently or through towns, counties, cities and states.
Constitution vs. Patriot Act
13. Co-Sign Pass/Pass Law as regards Whistleblowing of Constitutional violations protected by Law and a ‘drop box’ to both House of Congress’ Investigations Committee’s.
We also need our Congressfolk to support, sign and shepherd Constitutional Amendments to achieve many of the above, as the Supreme Court Rulings now require more than just legislative remedies. Many of the laws and reforms we hope to see implemented above are sure to come under Corporate Legal counter arguments, and be heard by the same U.S. Supreme Court that supports Corporate Personhood and perversely unlimited campaign donations.
High amongst these immediately needed Constitutional Amendments is the wide-spread urge for the People to elect their own President without the 'help' of Super Delegates in the party Primaries [currently Democrats] or far worse, the Electoral College itself choosing the President. Both are blatant road-blocks erected by party leaders to keep power in as few hands as possible.
14. End the Electoral College and allow the President and Vice-President to be decided by the Popular Vote alone. End Super Delegates.
a.Electoral College : http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/66681.html
Focus on Committee’s to: [These are larger more structural changes that I do not see a way to pre-arrange Congressional consensus - but Sensible Occupy congressfolk - we hope be trusted to work together.
* End American Foreign Energy Dependence in 10 years
* Create Green/Alt Energy Jobs/Infrastructure Jobs for American Citizens
* Return College Education cost to 1980 levels via .1% tax on the 1%[need beta-level input please!] need to crunch some basic numbers - make student loans flexible and affordable.
*Amnesty for Politicians past crimes in exchange for a truthful accounting from the years 1980 forward. Politicians who continue to stay in office pursuing illegal schemes and acting as oversight scofflaws will be clearly waiving an wish for Amnesty. An American Truth and Reconciliation Committee.
----points below still need to be authoritatively added to the above action points.
Points still needing to be addressed [courtesy P.T.] feel free to make suggestions in the above sort of format: Pass Bill, Const. Amend. etc.....
- Corporate Lobbying
- Offshore Bank Accounts
- Insider Trading [Especially Congressional Trading!] law forbidding Congress from having stock except in ‘Blind accounts’
- Short Selling
- Profit Margins
- Influence in the SEC
- Shareholders Rights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsDGRe4gb4U is Matt Taibbi talking over 5 points of reform and the above action points.
You may well ask - "If I [the American voter] agree with the above [or even most of it] and I’ll vote for such a candidate for Congress if they can be found. What other steps can I take?
1. Facebook the blog [youtube video/link in preparation] all proceeds if any collected from advertising will go fund all non-competing [no occupy vs. occupy funding] Occupy Congress campaigns. Vote on election day.
2. Take Occupy Congress to friends, to an Occupation or Net, fb community near you. If this movement moves it will be by people power and not corporate sponsorship. Obviously.
Maybe send a pro-occupy/take back congress letter to your local Newspapers letters to the editors section.
Still want/need/see to do more?
3. Let your congressman know that you have taken the pledge to support just such a candidate who takes our broken non-responsive federal government seriously. Begin a petition of the incumbent, let the Local and Free Internet Press know.
4. Start or participate in OCCUPY/Take Back CONGRESS, and OCCUPY the SENATE and Occupy the White House. And start a local internet presence for Occupy Congress [your state listed here - we will post all links as we get them].
5. Whichever political party [if any] you may belong to - from the local level introduce Occupy Congress and garner support for petitioning any congressional hopefuls. Look into Trans-Partisan Alliance, local Occupiers and other such activist groups and let them know/learn what is in the works.
6. Work for drafting excellent Americans for Occupy Congress, and work for their campaigns.
7. Run yourself!
This is a beta - pre-release version of OCCUPY CONGRESS. It is still very rough and in places thin - but I wanted to get a draft out where we the people can start debating and improving it.
Please feel free to comment, 2nd each others comments, make typo and socio-politico-practical suggestions.
And please do invite serious like minded friends to the remaining Beta days (4 left!)
- citizen x